Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Nunez Non-Omelet Omelet

What do commercial fishing families eat besides seafood?  Well, one the Nunez favorites is what we call an egg omelet, but which is actually more of an egg scramble.  One of my favorite memories at my Maw Maw Marion and Paw Paw Butty's house in Reggio, La was joining my cousins in making a huge mess in the kitchen to assemble this concoction.  Maw Maw Marion always had hot dogs, potatoes, onions, american cheese, and eggs and we combined all of this to make a very delicious "omelet."  I actually remember when my Nanny explained to us that our dish was not an omelet. We were devastated.

In any case, it is still one of the tastiest breakfast dishes I make. I have, however, upgraded from hot dogs and american cheese, but otherwise, the dish is true to its original form.

This is how most meals start in my kitchen.


Start with equal parts of very thinly chopped potatoes, onions, and bell peppers and saute them in olive oil until the potatoes are soft. (I guess the olive oil is also an upgrade, since we used to fry our potatoes in large amounts of vegetable oil and drain them on a paper towels) Don't forget the Tony's!

I used Andouille sausage (left-over from my butter beans) to add to the mixture. You can use the breakfast meat of your choice . . . or experiment with the original recipe and use hot dogs!


Saute with sausage for about a minute then add two eggs and add your choice of cheese. I used a shredded mexican blend.


Very quickly scramble and turn fire off to avoid dry eggs, serve and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment